Friday, April 15, 2011

Easter Story, The empty tomb


Easter Story; The Empty Tomb

Late in the evening I banged on the door of my flat mate Sam at B&B near the wall of Jerusalem...
He opened the door and said, “You’ve got nothing on”. I told him what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane where our Master was arrested by the Temple police. All of Jesus’ disciples ran off and left him. I am one of them. The police grabbed me by my tunic. But I scrambled and left my tunic behind, so here am I naked. Quickly Sam let me in and gave me his spare tunic. I told Sam that the Master was in for a rough time, knowing the temple police who acted on behalf of the Temple Priests. Sam gave me a straw mattress for the night. I did not sleep well.

In the morning we heard from the neighbors that the Master was lowered down into the dungeon underneath the high priest Caiphas. I knew the place and seen the hole into the dungeon when I was there once on a cleaning job.

Later on I heard terrible noise outsides and still afraid of the police I opened slightly the window shutter and saw Roman soldiers pushing some criminals carrying crosses down the road. To my shock I noticed the Master was one of them. The Romans are very cruel in killing their enemies by nailing them naked on a cross using square nails through the pulses and feet. Dying could take hours. My master did not deserve that agony.
I did not dare to go outside, even when I was told that he was buried in nearby cave.
I spent the day thinking WHY? Being a young guy I have questions. Why did my master let himself be crucified? Why was he a victim or a sacrifice? I think he loves me more than anybody. Some of my adult friends call it a mystery of Atonement.
Next day, after nightmares I told Sam that I was going to see the cave or tomb. Very quietly I approached the place and saw soldiers keeping watch. A hugh stone was rolled in front of the tomb. I wondered whether I should tell the disciples who were probably in the room of Passover Meal, the Upper room. But I went back to Sam who told me to stay inside. “Safer” he said.

On the Sunday morning I sneaked out again. The full moon lit up the track to the tomb. I was so curious to have a look at the tomb. Did the Master not say something about three days?
The first thing I noticed was that the soldiers were gone. Getting closer I saw the big stone rolled away and a white light coming out of the tomb. What happened? I was totally surprised.
Within the tomb and surrounded by the light I saw the flat surface of an empty bench, and some cloth neatly folded on one end of the bench. Any way there was no body. Also there was no clue of struggle. It did not make any sense to me. I went outside; there was the empty tomb; in the distance up the hill I saw three crosses; no corpses hanging on them. A long way of I saw three people walking towards a little village. From memory I knew it was called Emmaus. Had these people been at the tomb and seen it empty? They were not carrying anything; certainly not a body.
What to do? I could go the Upper room to tell the Master’s disciples, or walk as fast I could to the three people. I decided the last thing. Up to Emmaus!

No comments:

Post a Comment